I will be the first to admit that this meal isn’t the most photogenic, but I’ve made it several times and it is slowly becoming one of my go-to’s when I need to make a few lunches ahead of time. The sautéed onions and tomatoes give the chicken a little something tangy and it is delicious! Here’s the recipe (for two servings):
:: Ingredients ::
2 chicken breasts
15 grape tomatoes (this is pretty specific, but feel free to add or subtract some based on your preference)
2 cloves of garlic
4 oz baby carrots
12 oz potatoes
2T balsamic vinegar
2T olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss in olive oil (I have been using a seasoned olive oil meant for bread to give it extra flavor), salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes. Toss halfway through cooking.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, peel, halve and slice the onion. Mince the garlic and halve the grape tomatoes.
3. Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts with a store bought chicken seasoning of your choice, or just salt and pepper. Sear for about 4 minutes on each side until the chicken is golden brown. Set it aside for later.
4. Add the onion to the same pan you just used and cook on medium low until it is softened (around 5 minutes). Then add the garlic, tomatoes, vinegar and honey and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Transfer to a baking dish and put the chicken on top. Bake for 5-10 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked (this will depend on how thick your chicken is).
5. While the chicken is roasting, rinse off your pan and add the carrots to it with 1 cup of water. Add the sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Cook until the water is mostly evaporated and the carrots are glazed. I recently tried this with a white wine and honey instead of water and sugar and they came out great!
That’s it! I like to make extra potatoes and carrots to have with different proteins later in the week. They keep well in the fridge and it makes figuring out what’s for dinner super easy!
Do you guys have any go-to dinners?
Have a great day!