Life has been hectic lately, so posting has been less frequent than I typically like it to be. But after painting and moving into a new place, and then taking a weekend trip to Florida with my sister, it’s finally starting to look like I have some free time to blog again, which is great. I’ve actually been thinking about investing in a new camera! Now I just have to save up the money for it… haha.
Whenever I get super busy like this, I tend to get less sleep, which means I often find myself unwillingly sleeping in. Does anyone else do this? I use the alarm on my iPhone… but apparently it just turns itself off after a certain period of time. So there are mornings where I wake up, thinking I’m actually awake before my alarm because nothing is ringing at me, only to look at my phone and find that I’m already an hour behind schedule.
It’s the mornings like these that I need to be prepared for. I hate skipping breakfast, so I’m always on the lookout for recipes I can make ahead and then just grab and eat in the mornings when I find myself hopping around with one pant leg on while I simultaneously get a brush stuck in my hair and gargle some mouth wash.
Of course I’m exaggerating here… I’m not nearly that coordinated in real life. I also don’t brush my hair in the mornings. Or use mouth wash.
Anyway… I found this recipe via Paleo Nom Nom. I actually just downloaded their app and it’s so amazing and useful. Totally worth the six bucks. These little omelette muffins wrapped in crispy prosciutto are the perfect grab and go breakfast, hot or cold! They were pretty easy to make too, which is always nice. This recipe makes 12 muffins:
Paleo Prosciutto Wrapped Omelette Cups
1/2 medium onion
1/2 Tbsp Ghee (or whatever fat you prefer)
3 garlic cloves
1/2 pound mushrooms (this is how much the recipe calls for, but I found them to be very mushroom-y for my liking, I’ll probably reduce this the next time I make them)
1/2 pound frozen chopped spinach
4 Tbsp coconut oil (or whatever fat you prefer)
8 large eggs (pastured is best)
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp coconut flour
5 ounces prosciutto
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Finely dice the onion and mushrooms. Mince the garlic.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave and squeeze the access water out of it. Be careful to not let the spinach get too hot. You don’t want to accidentally burn yourself. Not that I did…
- Melt the 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Saute onions until translucent. Then add garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook until the moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the coconut milk, coconut flour, and more salt and pepper. Combine.
- Next, add the spinach and the mushrooms and onions and mix well.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with coconut oil. Then line each cup with some prosciutto. Make sure the bottom and sides are covered. You can rip overlapping pieces to do this.
- Fill the cups with the egg mixture. Add the halved cherry tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating tray half way through.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy!